Re: mplayer packages

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 11:01:14AM +0300, Martin-?ric Racine wrote:
> IMHO, there should be 3 packages (applies to the kernel too):
>
> 1) Pre-G3 (PPC601, etc.)
> 2) G3
> 3) G4 with Altivec  and the whole shebang

As I understand the chips in question, the 740/750 actually has more
in common with the 603 in terms of code generation than the 603 has
with the 604. The 604(e) was always the odd one out in terms of
optimization before Altivec. I even have some MacOS software with
separate 604 optimized binaries due to this.

I must admit that the 601 is strange as well, but that's because
it's only sort of a PPC chip. It's partly still an old Power chip.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com