Re: About yabootconfig

uh-oh.. :) sorry to hear about the recurring kernel problems - i've been
there many times before. i use yaboot on two new-world machines
(powerbook g3 pismo and lombard), and have had to boot using the yaboot
method a couple of times. your syntax looks fine to me, perhaps the
problem is in the partition number? you might try booting from your
debian install cd and looking at the partition table from the installer
to work out the correct number, then retry at the yaboot prompt? or
perhaps try hd:14,/vmlinux instead of the /boot/vmlinux-2.4.18 option?

the best way to avoid getting stuck is to keep a working entry in your
yaboot.conf that points to your old kernel. so you have the new kernel,
installed in /boot with a symlink from /vmlinux. then just add an entry
in yaboot like this:

image=/boot/vmlinux-old
	label=linux-old
	append="(whatever options you need for your kernel"

then rerun ybin as root to install the new bootloader. then if your new
kernel fails you should be able to type 'linux-old' at the prompt and
get back into linux on your old kernel.

does that help?

best,
nick