news on non-US keymap problems

I inquired with Macally about what could cause that invert key location.

Their reply was that the scancode was correct for OS 8 and somehow ended up
wrong starting with OS 9, at which point they corrected the keyboard's hardware
by inverting the scancodes for these two keys.

Although their European tech support used horrible English in their e-mail, what
I could understand is that depending upon which version of their iKey kayboard
someone has (IIRC they have had iKey versions up to iKey4), it might be correct
for your OS release or it might be inverted. The tech support person did not
have any more specific data nor offered a replacement keyboard in case the
mapping was wrong for my OS.

Given how the problem is the same with my other no-name keyboard and that both
are based upon the Alcor chipset, I have to guess that the real culprit is that
Alcor company's incorrect guess of scancodes, in early version of USB keyboards
destined for the European market.

I have sent an e-mail to Alcor, asking them if they have more precise info about
which OEM's products are affected and if they sell replacement chips. I'll post
here, as soon as I hear from them.

--
Martin-Éric Racine
http://www.pp.fishpool.fi/~q-funk/