IBook 2001 Combo Drive/Audio CD

Hi

I'm having some unusual problems with the drive on my iBook - any
operation involving the drive in KDE (including with Gnome or GTK
programs) causes the drive to eject - so if I go to copy a CD using
CDBakeOven or even XCDRoast, or rip an audio CD to ogg or mp3 the drive
opens. Unless I have a file manager window open at audiocd:/ the drive
will open again and again. Same with trying to play the cd in xmms or
kscd. However, even if I do have audiocd:/ open I can't play audio from
the cd, as I get no sound. This happens with any media player, including
command-line variants like cdcd (which appears to crash out, in any case)

Any ideas?

Chris