Re: no modem & no sound on a iMac

On Sep Wed 03 2003 16:45, pieter wrote:
> Hi to everybody,
> my first post on this list.... :-)
>
> Last night I have succesfully installed a Debian from a Woody/powerpc
> CD (disk1 from official release r0)
> Everything seems fine so far even though to get kde I had to feeddle
> around a bit with the xfree-server configuration to get it to work.
> Unfortunately no dial-up connection as I can't get kppp which is not
> where I expected to be (K menu) and ppp is also recalcitrant due to
> permission problems I can't get it to work as well.
> I have choosen the 2.4.18 kernel during the installation process: is
> there any problem with that as I am also missing the sound server?
> Actually after having added the sound module (dma_sound) with modconf
> get some sort of noise but not yet any sound...
> Can anybody suggest as where to go from here?

For the modem, check the driver page that Conexant has for it.

For the sound, I use ALSA, but with dmasound is even easier... just
check some of the online installation guides available at
www,linux-laptops.com for the Apple PowerPC and read there. Everything
you will need so far ir there, and for the rest, you will always have
this list :-)

Congrats on your installation :-)

--
J. Javier Maestro