Re: epiphany-browser and mozilla-snapshot?

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 23:48:34 +0200
Michel Dänzer <daenzer@debian.org> wrote:

> > mozilla-xft is something I'd like to avoid,
>
> How else would you get anti-aliased text?
>
> > as I don't think XRENDER support exists for my 700MHz iBook's M7.
>
> Sure it does, just not accelerated yet.

Thanks, Michel; both points are well-taken. I thought that mozilla-xft and mozilla-firebird/mozilla-browser-snapshot used different methods of rendering text in webpages, and that the latter method was less processor intensive. After reading your mail, however, I found that top(1) agreed with you. Both certainly seem to acheive anti-aliased text with the same CPU usage spike. And I suppose that it'd be hard to get that far without some XRENDER support, too. In any event, I'm sticking to epiphany-browser now, as it seems to cause fewer disk reads than mozilla-firebird.

Cheers,

Mark Williams