VGA out (mirror) on PowerBook IV (radeon 9000 M9)

I'm trying to work out what to do to get the VGA out (well, the DVI out plus
the VGA dongle) working on my tibook.  I've got the m7mirror.c code and
built it (and I'm wondering if this is packaged somewhere), and it seems to
work -- i can turn the LCD on and off and I can turn the CRT on and off.

The CRT seems to only work if I reboot the tibook with the external monitor
plugged in; plugging it in right away seems to not recognise that the DVI is
being used.

Anyway, now I've got the picture on the CRT, it's garbled, as if the horz
and vert sync rates are wrong; this is for both text mode on the framebuffer
and in X (in 1280x854 and 1024x768 modes).

I've read the threads from a couple of weeks ago without any luck, can
anyone give a howto on what needs doing?

--
jaq@debian.org                               http://people.debian.org/~jaq