Re: macintosh keyboard patches (was: swiss german keyboard config needed (xev results))

On Monday 25 August 2003 8:59, Olaf Hering wrote:
> The non us and de maps need review, but should almost match what MacOS
> does.

So I looked at the extensive diffs you sent, and I have a couple of questions.
The first is about the changes you made to the macintosh keycodes file. I
like the new name for the macintosh_raw_adb keycodes; it's much more
descriptive of what's going on. However, why do you change the default "new"
macintosh keymaps away from the standard xfree86 and recopy nearly the
identical keymap into macintosh? I thought that the point of changing the ppc
kernel keycodes to be the same as the i386 keycodes was to enable these types
of configurations to be shared. And the changes you've added are 99%
identical to what's in keycodes/xfree86. Why do you want to separate these
again?

BTW, your comment "<KPEQ> = 100; // XXX FIXME kernel or XFree86 bug" is an
XFree86 bug that's been fixed in CVS.

The changes that you made to add dvorak and change the European keyboards to
use the Euro symbol also look good, though if you look in the symbols/pc/
directory in XFree86 4.3, you'll see that they've changed from using
Mode_switch to change groups like:

   key <AD03> { [ e, E ], [ EuroSign, Ediaeresis ] };

they now use ISO_Level3_Shift to shift to the third level like:

   key <AD03> { [ e, E, EuroSign, Ediaeresis ] };

I doubt you'd want to make so many changes to these files, but you might
consider it.

Frank