Re: old powermac things...

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Jonathan Segel wrote:

> hi, i am running debian on a powermac 8500 150mhz, very oldworld...
> i tried to install the 2.4.21-ben2 kernel for old world scsi, but the
> keyboard map is completely estranged from the keys so that i couldn't
> log in or even find the right letters... can i fix this somehow?
> it's difficult to install new kernels because of bootx, i need a
> separate copy in the linux kernels folder in the mac partition!
> forgot about that the first time...

It's not a huge problem, but there are some quirks.  I remember when I
transitioned from LinuxPPC to Debian, it was just a matter of finding
the ramdisk with the installer and a bootable kernel image.  Also, it
sounds like you ran into the switch from ADB keycodes to linux keycodes
(your problem with finding the right letters).

Take a look at:

    http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/

for the keycode issue.

But as you pointed out, except for kernel installation - running 3.0 has
been VERY easy and trouble free.  I just do manual kernel upgrades, so
that issue hasn't been a problem.

cheers
vinai

--

To get my real e-mail address, replace "4" with "for" in the above address

Vinai

"I can't understand people who hate other people based on things like race,
 religion, or sexual orientation.  When you really do get to know a person,
 aren't there so many more worthwhile reasons for despising them ?"

                                        Dennis Miller