Re: Rs/6000

On Mon, 2003-08-25 10:03:52 -0300, MARCIO DIAS DE ALMEIDA <mdajesus@mdanet.com.br>
wrote in message <[🔎] 200308251003520750.0930CBAE@smtp.mdanet.com.br>:
> Hello,
>
> I have one rs/6000 43p140, would like to know informations on the installation.
>
> I obtained to install the Suse7.3 and I am using, but necessary of a Linux with constant updates. DEBIAN

Well, installing (modern) RS6k is quite simple - IFF the supplied kernel
works. In the past, Debian had shipped a bad kernel at some time (usind
MM-IO instead if traditional IO to the built-in SCSI host adapotor which
didn't work) but one could easily build a new (working) kernel and take
this one for installation.

That in mind, you'd do this:

	- Download Debian Woody's PPC boot floppies for RS6000 and
	  create floppies from them (cat /path/to/image > /dev/fd0 OR dd
	  if=/path/to/image of=/dev/fd0 OR ...) and try to boot off
	  these.
	- If the kernel can access your harddisks and read off it's
	  partition table, just start installation. This is done easiest
	  by doing a http / ftp based installation off the network, if
	  you've got a working internet connection via LAN.
	- If the 2nd step didn't work for you (because of a broken
	  kernel), use the SuSE system (with current 2.4.x kernel
	  sources) to build a new kernel image. Place this onto the boot
	  floppy and have fun.

If you face some real problems (I did do this and that and then, this
blurry shit happened to me...), feel free to ask:) But really, once
you've got a working kernel, it's as easy to install as a PeeCee.

MfG, JBG

      ret = do_actions((curr | FREE_SPEECH) & ~(IRAQ_WAR_2 | DRM | TCPA));