Re: Translucent X Windows

On Sunday 24 August 2003 20.19, J. Javier Maestro wrote:
> Hi guys,
> Here, there is a guy that is working on a nice hack for the X windows to
> support transparencies like MacOSX:
> http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~unk6/transluxent/
> He gives a binary (I guess for i386) and source, but the source requires
> the XWindow source tree. Now... the question is... 8-)
> How difficult is to rebuild the X server?? XXDDD I mean, library
> dependencies, and the make actually working...  coz I wouldn't mind
> giving that hack a try in my laptop!

Building XFree86 shouldn't be a problem, it just takes some time :-).

Make World and than copy final xc/programs/Xserver/Xtw to /usr/X11R6/bin. Do
an 'ldd /usr/X11R6/bin/Xtw' to make sure library dependencies are satisfied.

> Anyone with knowledge on recompiling X? XXDD :-)
> Thaaaank you!
> --
> J. Javier Maestro
> <jjmaestro@computer.org>
> http://rigel.homelinux.com

One thing that strikes me after examine TransluXent source is that some
sections of the code is endianess dependent and protected by #if 0 statements
(i.e. xc/programs/Xserver/hw/tw/xtw.c). You might need to fix the code to be
big endian instead of little endian, or strange result might follow. Grep for
C bitshift operators << and >>.

// Anders

Anders Lövgren -- lespaul@algonet.se