Re: 2.4.21-ben2 issues: RTC, Thermal and RTAS

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, J. Javier Maestro wrote:

> My last issue with the kernel is the Thermal Unit Assistant. I
> set the kernel options CONFIG_TAU and CONFIG_TAU_AVERAGE, but at boot
> time, I can read the message "Thermal Assist Unit not available". I was
> wondering if any of you running a PBook G4 has, again, managed to set
> this up.

It doesn't work here, too:

/var/log/kern.log:

Aug 23 18:42:48 [ ... ] kernel: Thermal assist unit not available

Excerpt from the kernel config here (2.4.21-ben2):

CONFIG_TAU=y
# CONFIG_TAU_INT is not set
CONFIG_TAU_AVERAGE=y

Excerpt from Configure.help (Kernel sources):
Thermal Management Support
CONFIG_TAU
G3 and G4 processors have an on-chip temperature sensor called the
'Thermal Assist Unit (TAU)', which, in theory, can measure the on-die
temperature within 2-4 degrees Celsius. This option shows the current
on-die temperature in /proc/cpuinfo if the cpu supports it.

Unfortunately, on some chip revisions, this sensor is very inaccurate
and in some cases, does not work at all, so don't assume the cpu temp
is actually what /proc/cpuinfo says it is.

Wolfgang
--
Profile, Links:
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer