Re: dma_sound problems on 12" pbook

Thomas Otto wrote:

When the old process is still arround try finding and killing it via
'fuser /dev/dsp'

Same thing here, sound worked oke until I updated my kernel a few weeks ago. I'm using GNOME (sometimes KDE) and have no sound server running.

Now short sounds are played OK but when XMMS is playing songs, it stops after one or two seconds. After running fuser /dev/dsp XMMS works fine again. But too bad that this was working before and not anymore now. Als when booting, it loads the sound modules and beeps once... for what reason?

  stop)
        echo -n "Unloading $NAME"
        rmmod dmasound_pmac
        rmmod dmasound_core
        rmmod soundcore
        echo "."
;;

Hmm, doesn't work here, it says: Device or resource busy. Hopefully this willbe fixed so that the lates kernel and having this

more /etc/modutils/sound
alias char-major-14     soundcore
alias sound-slot-0      dmasound_pmac
alias char-major-14-3   dmasound_pmac
alias /dev/dsp          dmasound_pmac
alias sound-service-0-0 i2c-keywest
alias char-major-14-0   i2c-keywest
alias /dev/mixer        i2c-keywest

is enough to get things going. Or do I really need to run a sound server?

Bye,

Pander