Re: dma_sound problems on 12" pbook

On Aug Fri 22 2003 20:14, Thomas Otto wrote:
> >While it usually plays sound fine the first time I open the device I get
> >ENXIO or EBUSY back from /dev/dsp when trying to read or write from the
> >device afterwards. Kernel is 2.4.21-ben2. Any ideas?
> >Regards,
>
> Thats a common Linux problem since the /dev/dsp (IIRC digital sound
> port) device can only be opened once, e.g. xmms playing music and xine
> playing a movie with sound at the same time won't work.
> When the old process is still arround try finding and killing it via
> 'fuser /dev/dsp'

Mmmm... I managed to play stuff simultaneously by using esd, and I just
stuck to it coz it was easy to setup, but there are other options, like
the art one that Thomas mentions.

I mean, not that I listen to many things at the same time 8-) but it is
quite useful to resolv the greedy xmms paused in the background while I
hit the bed watching a DVD with my recently compiled mplayer
(Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks to Christian ;-)))))))). So, just give
it a try... it works with ALSA (my system), and it works with most of
the programs around (there is usually a plugin or something to play with
esd).

> I have a better soundcard (or drivers? emu10k1 fyi) on my x86 which
> provides multiple dsp's so xine and xmms simultaneously does work.

> I don't know if this will ever work (alsa?)

My setup works with ALSA... do you mean that it might be possible that
ALSA puts such a layer for multiaccess the sound device without running
a daemon? Now, that would be cool :-)

Cheers,

--
J. Javier Maestro
<jjmaestro@computer.org>

P.S. BTW, anyone know of any way I could play a movie remotely in a
     server, and listen to the sound locally? Coz if I export an X
	 session, then, the movie is played on the remote server and I can
	 view it in the terminal, but the sound plays in the server! If I
	 could "stream" the audio, then I can use an old laptop to watch
	 DivXs from another room 8-)