Re: Apple laptop kernel keyboard discussion

On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 17:10, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On Thursday 21 August 2003 4:29, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 15:23, Frank Murphy wrote:
> > > Actually, I use it all the time. For a US keyboard, with no special chars
> > > engraved on the keys, Multi_key + ^ + u = û is the only way to type û. So
> > > in the US, Mode_switch is rarely used (though using the en_US keymap
> > > makes Mode_switch useful for characters like ¡ or ¿)
> >
> > I'm using a US keymap as well, and I have customized the 'a', 'o' and
> > 'u' keys to yield umlauts on the third and fourth level. I mean,
> > Multi_key is clumsy to use, whether it requires shift or not, isn't it?
>
> For me to type French, I find that it's better to have the accents in a single
> place. é and è, which gets the third shift level. (Plus É is used too.

I don't understand what you're getting at here...

> I don't think there are umlauts on an initial vowel in German.)

Sure there are, e.g. in "Änderung", "Öffnungszeiten" and "Übung".

> > > Another thing is that the fn+logo and shift+enter solutions both have the
> > > same problem ... and the same solution. To use the fn+logo key to get,
> > > say, the { character on a Swiss keyboard, press fn, then logo, then
> > > release fn, and press the 9, which will be the same finger-gymnastics
> > > with the Shift+Enter. So the fn+logo isn't dead after all. :)
> >
> > Heh, I'd consider Enter-Shift-<key> much more intuitive and easier to
> > use than fn-Enter-<fn release>-Shift-<key> though... (same for
>
> But for me to not get an umlaut for accent aigu with Multi_key on the shifted
> Enter, I have to do Shift-Enter <release shift> single-quote <release
> everything> e (to get é, not ë).

Why not simply Shift-Enter <release everything> single-quote e? :)

> Another thought though. For me, using fn-logo for Multi_key, then using the
> letter is OK. The only accent that's a pain is circonflex (because the 6 is
> also a fn-enabled key), but I can get around it with the finger-gymnastics.
>
> So maybe just leave Multi_key on right logo and change the Enter to be only
> Mode_switch

Yeah, fn-command or shift-enter doesn't really make a difference I
guess.

> (perhaps leaving KP_Enter on the shifted Enter).

Putting that on fn+enter makes more sense to me in any case, for
consistency and because access to the fourth level is easier if only
Mode_switch is mapped on enter.

> I imagine that the fn- stuff is done in the keyboard firmware, but do you
> think it would be possible to only allow the fn-key to affect the first key
> pressed and not all the keys held. It would avoid the finger-gym.

I don't know, but I suspect it's not possible.

> > > Now, I had noticed that there was a similar problem with fn+logo,
> > > where the X keycode was 222. However, since I upgraded my kernel from
> > > stock Debian 2.4.19 to stock Debian 2.4.21, the problem with fn+logo
> > > is fixed (the X keycode is 116, like it should be.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > But, if that can be fixed, I actually think it's a good idea to be
> > > consistient with the rest of the fn-keypad.
> >
> > Yes, let's hope this can be fixed, but otherwise no worries either I
> > guess, unless someone comes up with a case where KP_Enter is
> > indispensable? (it had better be important though :)
>
> At least, I can add Menu = Enter to my apple file, so if it gets fixed in the
> kernel, X will "just work."

Good idea.