Re: Help with X using ATI pci card?

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, W. Crowshaw wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 11:21:43AM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> > > Yep, I know.  The card docs say that this is
> > > impossible as well.  No, I had intended to run
> > > monitor off of /chaos/control (the 7500 built in
> > > video) and the other, larger, monitor over the ati
> > > card.
> >
> > This might work, using the fbdev driver for the control.
> >
> Exactly what I was thinking, using the much improved
> controlfb...
>

> > > Additionally, I thought I would say that, even
> > > though I cannot get a console or a X session using
> > > this ati connected to my Dell monitor, this isn't
> > > a problem with the card itself because 1) it behaves
> > > great on the MacOS and 2) I have three of these
> > > cards and they all behave the same way on X.
> > >
> > > Any ideas, or should I just sell the cards on e-bay?
> >
> > I'd try a newer XFree86 version first.
> >
> Really?  Say it isn't so. Upgrading to debian
> unstable isn't very enticing and damn if I want to
> build another app from scratch.  My debian system is
> starting to look like gentoo.  Before I made the
> plunge, could you or someone else give me any
> assurances that it would be worth the trouble?

I have a similar card (ATI XClaim3D - with both the Mac and VGA ports)
and have been using it with a pretty much vanilla Woody distrubtion
(except for the kernel).  When I use this kernel, I have to use the
"novideo" option (or whatever the equivalent is with BootX), and then
to get X working, my device section looks like:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "ATI Rage"
        Driver          "ati"
        BusID           "PCI:0:14:0"
        Option          "UseFBDev"              "true"
EndSection

One other point to note is that you need to get the exact frequencies
for your monitor to be able to use it in X.  I used the generic Woody
configuration, but it would not let me use my AppleVision at 1280x1024
with this card, which worked perfectly well in MacOS.  It was only when
I got the monitor frequencies from Apple's Spec listings and put them
into XF86Config-4 did X work like I wanted it to.

cheers
vinai

--

To get my real e-mail address, replace "4" with "for" in the above address

Vinai

"I can't understand people who hate other people based on things like race,
 religion, or sexual orientation.  When you really do get to know a person,
 aren't there so many more worthwhile reasons for despising them ?"

                                        Dennis Miller