Re: Finnish X11 keymap on iMac?

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Frank Murphy wrote:

> > > Your third-party keyboard should be considered an i386 keyboard, and the
> > > Apple keyboard a mac-usb one. The differences there are the locations of
> > > the @, which seems to work fine for you.
> >
> > Mainly that and that the Apple/Windows keys and Alt keys are reverted, then
> > the Euro sign appears on AltGr+E of PC (as per EU recommendations), while
> > Mac has this instead of the Universal currency on Shift+4.  Also the <>|
> > and §½¶ keys are at the wrong location.
>
> The keys printed with <>| and §½¶ are in a different location or they print
> the wrong keycodes when pressed? When you are trying to use the Mcalley
> keyboard, what is the output of `setxkbmap -v 6`?

See your own similar question below. :)

> And are you
> dpk-reconfigure-ing xserver-xfree86 every time you change?

Both console and X are configured to use PC / standard / finnish-latin1, since I
have no use for Apple's own mapping.

> > > From before, it seems that the keyboard(s) work fine for the keys with
> > > letters on them. The problem is that AltGr (Mode_switch in Xkb-speak) is
> > > not doing what it should.
> >
> > The incorrect keys are:  Alt, AltGr, left_apple/windows,
> > right_apple/windows (bottom row). Then, on two third-part keyboards that I
> > tried (Macalley and some other no-name) the <>| (should be between Z and
> > left_shift) and §½¶ (should be left of 1) are reverted.
>
> So you get <>| when you press §½¶ and vice-versa, right? Which sounds right if
> you have X configured to use a macintosh layout with a pc keyboard.

All USB keyboards I currently have are meant to be Mac keyboards (whatever
usbmgr reported upon connection is included in parentheses):

1) original narrow iMac keyboard (Alps Electric?M2452 M2452 on usb1:14.0).
2) Macalley (ALCOR macally on usb1:6.0)
3) noname (ALCOR STRONG MAN KBD HUB on usb1:11.0)

On the Apple (Alps) keyboard, <> and §½ are correct, except that since the
Mode_switch is missing, I cannot get the pipe and degree glyphs (as initially
reported).

Meanwhile, both the noname and Macalley, being based upon that same Alcor
chipset, behave similarly, with two keys being inverted and with some meta keys
being at the wrong place.

> > > I haven't seen a Finnish keyboard, but I assume that the keys are
> > > physically marked with "ctrl", "alt & option", "Apple-logo/command",
> > > "space bar", "Multikey". Is this true?
> >
> > They are: ctrl, alt/option, apple, spacebar, apple.
> >
> > > Does putting the following into .Xmodmap and run xmodmap .Xmodmap help?
> > >
> > > keysym Alt_L = Mode_switch
> > > keysym Super_L = Alt_L Meta_L
> >
> > Using xmodmap messes up WAY too many other things in the keymap, such as
> > killing deadkeys, which I absolutely need.
>
> Really? Sometime I've found that if I'm messing around with xmodmap too much
> in one session, the changes start to interfere with each other. An easy way
> out is to run `setxbmap` which will reset the kemap to the settings in
> XF86Config-4.
>
> Could you try the above .Xmodmap right after running setxkbmap and see if it
> fixes your Alt / Apple problem?

I'll try to get around it, one I'm back home. :)

> > What really puzzles me is, why setting up X to use a real i386/latin1-fi
> > keymap fails to give me the exact same layout as on my Intel hardware.
> > Aren't USB keyboards so standardized that they should be virtualy
> > interchangeable?
>
> I would think that using the same software and the same keyboard with the same
> configuration should have the same results on 386 and ppc. But something is
> wrong.

Indeed.  Anyhow, just to clarify, what I'm trying to achieve is to get the exact
same (PC) keyboard layout on all my Debian hardware.  For obvious reasons, this
cannot work using the narrow iMac keyboard, since some keycaps are missing, but
both Alcor chipset-based keyboards have, for all intents and purpose, the exact
same layout as any PC keyboard, the only difference being the power key.

--
Martin-Éric Racine
http://www.pp.fishpool.fi/~q-funk/