Re: PCI hardware

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Jeroen Roovers wrote:

> On 14 Aug 2003 at 10:35, vinai wrote:
>
>> The only PCI cards that are cross-platform compatible are those that
>> are needed for booting, such as video cards and hard drive controllers.
>
> One important correction for clarity. You probably meant to say:
>
>    The only PCI cards that are *NOT* cross-platform compatible are
>    those that are needed for booting

Yes, thanks for catching that one.

> and even that isn't the full story. You can use many IDE and SCSI
> controllers without executing the built-in firmware at all, and you
> can use some graphics cards without having to rely on the firmware.
> As long as the driver you use initialises the electronic and logical
> properties of that specific PCI card correctly, it will work (or so I
> heard).

I think you're correct here.  I remember some folks mentioning (either
here or on linuxppc-dev) being able to use some PCI IDE controllers
under linux that don't work under Mac OS (classic or X).  I also seem to
remember someone mentioning using non-OF graphics cards, but that one I
am less sure of.

cheers

--

To get my real e-mail address, replace "4" with "for" in the above address

Vinai

"I can't understand people who hate other people based on things like race,
 religion, or sexual orientation.  When you really do get to know a person,
 aren't there so many more worthwhile reasons for despising them ?"

                                        Dennis Miller