Re: Cube as a firewall/router - Comments anyone?

On 11 Aug 2003 at 22:29, Thomas Otto wrote:

> > Why not use use IP over FireWire?
>
> Hehe, nice Idea. Though IIRC despite the RFC IP over FW is not yet
> completely implemented in the linux kernel.
> But you could set CONFIG_IEEE1394_ETH1394 in the .config file:
>
> Ethernet over 1394
> CONFIG_IEEE1394_ETH1394
>    Extremely Experimental! This driver is a Linux specific way to use
>    your IEEE1394 Host as an Ethernet type device. This is _NOT_ IP1394.
>
> in case all the clients are on linux.

Well, I did mention I'd seen FireWire -> Ethernet adapters mentioned
here and there. Can't find them that quickly now.

> With a FW port at my Mac and my x86 Audigy soundcard I could try this,
> yet FW cables quite expensive.

I don't know about your whereabouts, but in the Netherlands FireWire
cables are expensive too. The silly thing is, it's just a couple of
wires going through that cable, and fitting the cheap connectors
isn't complicated either. I've seen local pricing range from 6 euros
to a stunning 35 euros, for the same 6 ft by 6 pin cable. I guess
it's the unwitting dv-editing general public that happily overpays
for simple accessories, as they are used to in the photography and
video market.

> But..., damn, isn't using the Cube as a router kindof blasphemy? ;-)

Well, it leaves a lot of resources for a webserver, a mail server,
and let's not forget Bayesian spam filtering, and you could of course
add some media server, phone answering service and much more. You
could still even play Shishen-Sho under KDE! *And* your Cube will fit
into just about any niche or corner, and stops books from falling
over on any everage shelf. :-)

      Jeroen Roovers