Re: X startup... (was Re: Keyboard on X with missing keys)

[ /etc/X11/Xsession.d + ~/.xsession not working ]

See Debian bug 195845 for a patch to fix this problem. It shows up if you're using KDM or GDM and selecting a specific session manager (as opposed to the default).

Thanks for the hint. Everything is working as expected now, I thought my shellscriptingskills had failed me.
I still have to remember to search debian bugs as well and not
only Google ;-).

I gave up trying to understand the Xsession.d chaos b/c even simple
"echo var is $THISVAR now" for debugging made the script exit (maybe due
to "exec > "$ERRFILE" 2>&1" in the caller?).

BTW, For debugging these, I always echo into some /tmp/file so I can see what was executed before all heck breaks loose.

That was exactly the thing that was so creepy to me (actually still is):
Any echo's, plain or redirected, caused these scripts to bail out.
I finally got a glimpse of what was going on via 'touch /tmp/var_$WHAT' - so i found out that in /theory/ my .xsession should be accepted :)
On second thought a 'set +x' should have helped as well.

   -Thomas