X startup... (was Re: Keyboard on X with missing keys)

Same here, on an iBook2 700Mhz. I ended up writing my own ~/.Xmodmap
which i load when I login.

It seems everybody does that, instead of fixing the X keymaps... I'm no
better myself. :)

But where *is* this keymap that will be read at the start of an X session on
Debian 3.0. r1 /testing?

Um, yes, I forgot to mention.
In theory you just create a ~/.xsession and the scripts in /etc/X11/Xsession.d which take care of your X login will execute this upon start, i.e. don't forget "exec /bash/to/windowmanager" in the last line. YET this seems also fscked here so I just wrote exec $HOME/.xsession into 99xfree86-common_start and then added "xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap" and sourced /etc/profile (so the WM has a reasonable $PATH + other stuff) before the exec `which windowmaker` command.

I gave up trying to understand the Xsession.d chaos b/c even simple "echo var is $THISVAR now" for debugging made the script exit (maybe due to "exec > "$ERRFILE" 2>&1" in the caller?).

      -Thomas