Re: Keyboard on X with missing keys

> I don't think this is the problem (are you sure this file is even used
> with your configuration? :).

I'm pretty sure, but not positive. The only files that mention 'macintosh_old'
(the other option for this line) are keymap.dir, keymap/macintosh, and
rules/xfree86. But the geometry is only specified in that file. It's hard to
tell, though. These xkb files are a maze of twisty passages...

> Non-US layouts basically work fine, only
> some keys are wrong or inaccessible. The problem as I understand it is
> that the macintosh keymaps are designed for desktop keyboards and don't
> map too well on laptop keyboards. As it might be hard to come up with a
> single keymap which works reasonably for both, maybe different variants
> or options are needed.

I think that there are also problems for the desktop keymaps. But I agree that
a variants are proabably needed.

> > However, I don't know what the proper XkbRules, XkbLayout, or XkbSymbols
> > should be set to when using it. I'm trying it right now, and most of the
> > keys are fine, but the arrow keys and Alt_R and some other obscure
> > modifiers are set incorrectly. It seems to me that if we could have a
> > complete Linux keycodes XkbSymbols map, then the only configuration would
> > have to be for console-data.
>
> Are you sure about this? I doubt it. As I understand it, medium raw
> keycodes still correspond to physical keys, so you'd still need X
> keymaps, just different ones.
>
> I think disabling Xkb (with Option "XkbDisable" or the -kb command line
> switch) comes closer to what you're describing.
>
> Of course, it's entirely possible that I'm on crack. :) You've already
> made contact with _the_ Xkb developer Ivan Pascal, he can answer all
> your questions about it.

I haven't talked with Ivan Pascal. I didn't know there was a _the_ xkb
developer. :) But I'm also high here. The CustomKeycodes option may fix
problems with special keys, but not with remapping, say, 'y' to 'z'. Plus,
it's buggy. There are a number of keys that generate the same X keycode that
don't in the console.

Anyway, I have been messing with this a bit. It's time to send some patches to
XFree. See if they'll take them. :)

Frank