Re: gnome-terminal [WAS: Re: GNOME Breakage]

On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 16:34, Jon Masters wrote:

> Another issue I am having is in finding where gnome-terminal went to!
>
> The package exists but does not contain very much...

I'm not sure what you mean, but there's no gnome-terminal in testing
currently:

daenzer@thor|16:44:44> apt-cache policy gnome-terminal
gnome-terminal:
  Installed: 2.2.2-2
  Candidate: 2.2.2-2
  Version Table:
 *** 2.2.2-2 0
        500 http://ftp.de.debian.org sid/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1.4.0.6-5 0
        500 http://debian.ethz.ch stable/main Packages

> I am using the one from unstable also though my apt pinning seems
> screwed so I end up commenting and uncommenting sources to install
> packages - what is the correct way to setup apt preferences for
> occasional access to unstable?

I don't know if there's a 'correct' way, but here's mine FWIW: I have

APT
{
        Default-Release "testing";
}

/etc/apt/apt.conf . I usually use the aptitude UI, but I can use it from
the command line as well: When I want to grab a package from unstable
for once, I do

aptitude -t unstable install <package>

When I want to pin it to unstable, I do

aptitude install <package>/unstable

Sometimes I need to mix'n'match both to achieve what I want.

PS: Only the aptitude in sid supports -t yet, but the same applies to
apt-get, which has known -t and / since woody IIRC.