Re: xlibs breaking dependencies

On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 00:33, Andreas Wüst wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 27.07.03, um 14:12 Uhr (Europe/Zurich) schrieb Michel
> Dänzer:
>
> > On Sun, 2003-07-27 at 13:17, Andreas Wüst wrote:
> >>
> > apt-get install xlibs=4.1.0-16
> >
> > or
> >
> > apt-get install xlibs/unstable
> >
> > (same with aptitude)
>
> Interesting. I've never seen this yet.
>
> Is it possible for packages to pin themselves?

I'd hope not. :)

> >> Add to which install line? The one with gnome-session?
> >
> > Yes. I asked about this earlier in this thread, and you said it
> > worked...
>
> Yes, of course it works if I put gnome-session and xlibs into the same
> line. But you asked about the packages which get upgraded
> *additionally*, but since gnome-session alone doesn't work, I can
> *only* tell you which packages get upgraded at all by adding xlibs, and
> not which packages are *additionally* upgraded compared to an install
> line with only gnome-session!!

I mean in addition to gnome-session and xlibs (and possibly what
gnome-session alone complains about).

> > The thing is, I can still only speculate about what you're trying to do
> > and what happens...
>
> Ok, now, a lot of ouput follows.

You can't expect to gain information by trying only one package at a
time in general, so you could have saved some. :)

> # apt-get -u -t unstable install gnome-session xlibs
>
> Reading Package Lists...
> Building Dependency Tree...

[...]

> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>    autoconf2.13 gnome-applets gnome-panel gnome-panel-data
> libdigest-md5-perl
>    libfam0

You'll probably have to upgrade those you want to keep of these.

This could be the reason why it wouldn't upgrade xlibs automatically; it
still doesn't tell why it needs to install these for upgrading xlibs
though, maybe some versioned dependency.