Re: xlibs breaking dependencies

Hi Michel

Sorry, it seems as I would have introduced some heavy latency in this thread.

Am Samstag, 26.07.03, um 15:12 Uhr (Europe/Zurich) schrieb Michel Dänzer:

[ snip ]

Because you have an older version installed, and you don't tell it to
upgrade that.

Sorry, I didn't get this one! I thought, deps would be handled
automatically?? If I tell it, for instance, to apt-get -u -t unstable
install openoffice.org, apt-get tells me that libc6 etc. (of which I
obviously have already an older, i.e. woody, version installed) will
be
upgraded. So, why does it not do that when trying to install
gnome-session?

Hmm. Did you maybe pin xlibs to the older version before with something
like xlibs=4.1.0-16 or xlibs/stable?

No. There is no /etc/apt/preferences at all.

independent from that.

Huh? But, how do I do that and were does this get saved? At least, I wouldn't have done that intentionally.

Another possibility is that other packages somehow prevent apt from
upgrading xlibs automatically. If you add it to the install line, does
it cause other packages to be upgraded additionally as well?

Add to which install line? The one with gnome-session? Since install gnome-session doesn't work out and simply quits with "E: Sorry, broken packages", it won't give me any packages which are to be upgraded.

Yet another possibility is simply an apt bug I guess. :) Have you tried
apt from sid yet?

No, because it's not how I'd like my systems to work. I want to have the system tools from stable whilst not so crucial software from sid (like xfree86, gnome, etc.). Otherwise, I could do a dist-upgrade and not mind running a mixed system.

Furthermore, setting the default release to "woody" in apt.conf does
not have any influence, i.e. it still gives the broken deps if I rename
apt.conf.

Sure, -t overrides that.

Aah, yes, ok.

--