Re: 2.6-test1 on ppc?

> > > False, Dan told me to use the linuxppc_2_4 tree, and that someone else
> > > was packaging the benh tree. I don't know who though, and probably it is
> > > not an official package.
> >
> > What is the difference between linuxppc_2_4 and benh-stable? Not much, I'd
> > hope ...
>
> I don't really know, Benjamin may respond to this one, maybe but even

Waiting for Ben to clear up the confusion here...

> > There's kernel-patch-benh by Jens Schmalzing, how about using that to
> > build a kernel-image-benh package?
>
> Are you sure it doesn't do so already ? Have you not tried building from
> it ? Or doing a make-kpkg with it ?

Hell no. I don't touch make-kpkg with a ten foot pole. Never got the hang
of it.

As such, I'm not sure kernel-patch-benh isn't used in building the images.
If it were, I'd be even more confused the image won't work (for
sufficiently relaxed semantics of 'doesn't work' - the brightness keys not
working doesn't a broken kernel image package make, in my book. If it
boots, lets you log in, and adjust the brightness using fblevel, fine by
me).

About the only gripe I have with that kernel image (based on a quick test)
is the lack of ADB keycodes compat support. Trying my 2.4.20 with Linux
keycodes only messes up X and console switching and leaves the brightness
keys/console keymap functional so that's not it. The same test with
yesterday's benh-devel shows the brightness keys broken regardless of
keyboard mode (only the console messages about unknown scancode change to
ones about failing to emulate rawmode for scancode 225/224) - you can
safely build a kernel-image-2.4.21-benh and it won't change a bit :-)

I'll look into this later, and throw a patch at Ben as I see fit. Maybe
it's a magic change to the keyboard handling that's been documented in the
FAQ :-)

	Michael