Re: IBM Servers to Pair Linux, New PowerPC Chips

On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 09:34:14PM -0400, Nathanael Hasbrouck wrote:
> > > Also, to ask my own question, did I hear someone say recently on this
> >> list that IBM might use Apple chips in it's PPC machines?  Or am I
> >> confusing things?
> >
> >That would be silly: Apple doesn't make chips, it just designs them,
> >has them manufactured by other companies, and sells them (neatly
> >packaged, it must be said). In the case of CPUs, Apple doesn't even
> >design those, but `works closely' with Motorola and IBM to get the
> >specs right.
>
> Sorry, I meant Apple designed chips, not Apple manufactured.  Bad
> wording. :^/  To rephrase the question, I think I was talking about
> Apple's northbridge (I think) controller, which IBM manufactures and
> is supposed to be using in their new blades.  If the new
> servers/blades run Linux, someone will have to write drivers for the
> chip, and if it's the same one in the G5, this will be good, right?

IBM may (or may not) use the same Northbridge apple use, but certainly
will use other stuff for the other parts of the board, since i think at
least the southbridge is apple's own and since you could use any HT
stuff anyway, this is no major problem. I have heard rumor as to the
northbridge being designed and manufactured by amd, but i have
difficulties believing that.

Friendly,

Sven Luther