Re: Woody modules

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 08:08:23AM -0400, Fred Heitkamp wrote:

> I recently lost access to my Debian Testing setup when
> I did an apt-get upgrade.  The system tries to boot,
> goes into a disk check and quits with a 'fsck by hand'
> message, but the keyboard/login does not work.
>
> I have tried to use the Woody install disk to rescue
> my system, but the kernels have no driver for my
> SCSI card. (LSI  1010 based card).
>
> The Debian Woody menu has an option for loading
> additional modules from a floppy but that does not
> help since my Mac G4 has no floppy drive. Can I install
> the Sym module from the internet? I have a USB
> ZIP drive too if that helps. Curiously, there appears
> to be no additional modules on the install CD AFAICT.
> The Woody disk has an install24 kernel that is
> version 2.4.18-<something>.
>
> I am attempting to download the latest testing
> distribution with jigdo, hoping that these
> issues have been addressed.  If all this fails
> is it possible to burn a new Woody disk with
> my own kernel?

If you already have your own kernel available, that's the best
solution. I _think_ you might be able to load drivers from
a drivers.tgz file, but I'm not sure. Normally I'd say boot
from your kernel which is on the hard disk, but you don't have
access to the hard disk.

Hmmm... You could burn a CD with your kernel substituted for the
linux.bin file in the install/new-powermac folder; I think that's what
you were suggesting.

Maybe another possibility is to boot your regular kernel straight from
its current location, but supply a boot argument to use the root.bin
from the install folder on the CD.

To try this, you need the partition number xx where your kernel
lives. Boot from the woody CD (BTW, it hasn't been updated for more
than 6 months, so a new download is not necessary) and when you
get the boot: prompt, type in a manual OF path to your kernel, and
follow with an argument to use the root.bin from the CD.

Something like:

boot:  hd:6,/vmlinux initrd=cd:,/install/new-powermac/root.bin initrd-size=8192

I have no idea if using an OF path for initrd will actually work.

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People