Re: Another quik/beige G3 boot attempt

On  13 Jul, this message from Simon Vallet echoed through cyberspace:
>> > don't know if it is the same under Linux, thoug.
>>
>> There won't be any difference on the OF side... OF isn't changed by
>> the OS :-)
>
> Of course, but I can remember I had to change the real-base on an
> older mac because the kernel was too big (OF was not changed, but
> affected)

Right, that would indeed make a difference.

> Maybe I'll have to keep a MacOS partition :-(, but I still want to try
> some things :
> - in OF, when I 'dev' to '/pci/mac-io/ide@20000' (first ide) and 'ls'
> there, i get the following :
> /disk@0,0
> /disk@0,0
> and I would have expected:
> /disk@0,0 (master)
> /disk@1,0 (slave)
>
> could this confuse quik ?

Hmmm, that's strange. One of the NetDSB pages talks about slave booting
not working... that could be the reason. Otherwise, I'd expect OF to go
for the first encountered dev, be it master or slave. And if it got the
wrong one, you'd have gotten a different error message.

On the other hand, early Apple OF does unexpected things rather often...

> - do the limitations listed there :
> http://mike.quintero.staff.noctrl.edu/slackintosh/index-2002-07-12.html
> still apply ?

The quik limitations? Mostly, I think, yes.

> - I noticed the presence of a quik-1.3.1.tar.gz  at
> http://www.cpu.lu/~mlan/ftp/ Is this version still pertinent ? I use
> quik 2.0... could the changes have break something ?

Hmmm... I think that quik-1.3.1 is rather old. But it won't hurt to try
it out... It was the last release before 2.0, so not that much older.

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |