Re: WARNING: libc6 in unstable

On  12 Jul, this message from Joss Winn echoed through cyberspace:
> Yep, this caught me out at midnight last night and I've yet to
> tackle it.
> I can only boot into runlevel two (where booting now stops).  It
> won't let me login though.

Yeah; not a lot you can do... I was able to mke it boot by specifying
init=/bin/sh. However, I found no way to downgrade libc6 before I shot
myself in the foot and was forced to boot from another disk....

> My plan was to use the debian install cd 1 to boot and mount the
> linux partition.  I should be able to downgrade from there, right?

That should be possible... hmmm... I have put up a .tgz archive on my
site containing just libc and its associated symbolic link. When booting
from the install CD, you can untar that over the bad libc (from within
/target/lib).

It's available here:

http://www.cpu.lu/~mlan/ftp/debian/libc6/

> What is the downgraded command I should be using?

I usd dpkg; I'm sure some apt-get can also do it, but I was too lazy to
look it up. On my site I have put the relevant .debs; get them and
insall them thus:

dpkg -i libc6*deb locale*deb

Cheers

Michel