Re: Need recommendation for SCSI card

On 9 Jul 2003, Joe Phillips wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 00:28, Brendan J Simon wrote:
> > Can anyone recommend a good solid SCSI card that works with Linux and
> > tape backaups.
>
> I don't have powerpc hardware (yet) so I can only speak on my x86 + scsi
> experiences (note e-double's recent issues!)... We almost exclusively
> use Adaptec scsi controllers in our Linux/OpenBSD boxen.  I have had
> good luck with various models from 1542s through recent 7xxx both
> on-board and add-on controllers.  I can't say I've had any bad
> experiences with adaptec controllers - certainly not recently.

One thing to watch out for _any_ PCI cards. If they have on-board BIOS
intended to run on an IA32 system, don't expect the BIOS to be any good
on your MAC.

The AIC7xxx devices do have on-board firmware, but I think they have
their own onbard processor too.

It would be good to ask on the Linux-kernel mailing list (and report
back here). Last I looked (which was a while about) the Adaptec bloke
maintains the Linux (and BSD) driver and hangs out there. Besides that,
if anyone knows, be sure the kernel hackers do;-)

--

Cheers
John Summerfield

Please, no off-list mail at all at all. This address accepts mail only
from Debian addresses.