Re: Apple PowerMac G5

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, [iso-8859-1] Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 07:10:27 -0400, Fred Heitkamp wrote:
>
> > Supposedly OS/2 for PowerPC was so slow and buggy, IBM did
> > not want to release it.  (I think I read that somewhere.)
>
> 	I can understand that, as OS/2 began its life as protected-mode PC-DOS
> 3.0...
>
> 	But the only excuse for not fixing it is lack of focus.  PS/2 was not
> important enough for IBM.

It's important to remember IBM is a very large company with many
different business units, each bigger than many other computer
companies.

Back then there were not _that_ many PCs around, and IBM also sold
several ranges of minicomputer and its S/370 mainframes.

Back then, my employer bought a brace of computer equipment and
software. IBM had the fourth largest share, with almost no hardware at
all. We bought Amdahl mainframes running IBM software, Wang VS
minicomputers, disk tape & printers from Storage Technology.

IBM's share was VM (one of), 7 ea (MVS JES2 ACF/VTAM TSO/E ACF/NCP and
goodness knows what else).

Pee Cees were very small beer in those days, and the IBM PC company had
trouble being noticed.

--

Cheers
John Summerfield

Please, no off-list mail at all at all. This address accepts mail only
from Debian addresses.