Re: HFS+ support in recent benh kernels (was: Re: partition)

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 08:19:45PM -0300, Rog?rio Brito wrote:
> Humm, talking about hfsplus support in benh kernels, is it good to be
> used with filesystems that have journaling enabled?

I wouldn't really trust it without looking at it. I haven't changed
any of my partitions to be journaled yet, so I really don't know
what all it does to the disk.

> I'm asking this because I used the module to write to one such
> partition (to write my GnomeCard contacts file to an HFS+ fs with
> journaling enabled) and after I booted MacOS X, the file was
> corrupted.

It would definitely do this if there were any pending changes in
the journal that got applied by osx when it booted. Are you sure
it was cleanly unmounted the last time you used it in osx?

> I don't know if the corruption has anything to do with the journalling
> or not, but would like to know if it is safe to use with such
> partitions.

It would certainly be a possibility, although it's also possible
that there's just a bug in the hfsplus support. There have been
some reports of various issues, along with a couple patches.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com