Re: Upgrading the kernel

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 04:42:37PM +0200, Wim wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to upgrade the kernel:
>
> # uname -a
> Linux debian 2.2.20-pmac #1 Thu Mar 21 17:08:23 EST 2002 ppc unknown
> # cat /etc/debian_version
> 3.0
> # apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-powerpc
> # reboot
> # uname -a
> Linux debian 2.2.20-pmac #1 Thu Mar 21 17:08:23 EST 2002 ppc unknown
>
> I'm using BootX to boot from MacOS into Linux.
>
> I have two questions:
> 1. Can I give some parameters in BootX so it boots from the new kernel and I'll be able to test it.
> 2. If I'm satisfied, what do I have to change in Linux to boot with the new kernel by default?

Yes, there is a place for parameters in the BootX settings. But what
you really want to change is the kernel selection. If you copy the new
kernel to the Linux Kernels folder, it will show up in the popup and
you can select it.

If you update kernels often, you might want to put your Linux
Kernels folder on a shared partition so you can copy it directly
from inside the running Debian to be ready in the popup next time
you boot.

To make it the default, just Save Settings after selecting it.

In my experience (read: on my Mac), when I switch to a 2.4 kernel, I
also have to select video=ofonly (I think that is the no video driver
checkbox).

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
By the People, For the People