Help needed with X

Hello,
I bought an ibook this morning and install debian on it;
but X just keeps me waiting :)
I followed instructions in Jesus Clement's howto and here is what
happened:
I started xdm and it gives me the login screen, ok till there, but
when i tried to login, it just restarts xdm.
No user and no root login in X is enabled;
in the logs it tells me

/usr/X11R6/bin/xrdb: Can't open display ':0'
AUDIT: Mon Jun 30 17:00:00 2003: 11342 X: client 3 rejected from local host
  Auth name: XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 ID: -1
Xlib: Protocol not supported by server

Error: Can't open display: :0

so what did i do so bad ?

My system is Debian testing (can't upgrade to unstable)
and my kernel is the latest Ben's kernel (2.4.21-ben2).
I built radeon.o module from drm-trunk source and installed related packages
Thanks for any reply.

--
Mathieu SEGAUD