newbee: mozilla upgrade thin fonts

I upgraded to mozilla1.3.1-3 and suddenly all fonts are very thin and nearly unreadable no matter what font I use. Reading slashdot is a pain because the italic fonts used there is ugly. And in the mozilla-mail the mail fonts also are thin, and bold face undistinguisable from non-bold.

I seem to remember that it is possible to text-configure the browser to 'not allow scaling' which helped , but now I cannot find this option or the text file used.

Can anyone help me get mozilla use readable fonts?

thanks
Gunner