Re: Need recommendation for tape drive for new G4

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 04:00:06 +0200, Brendan J Simon wrote:

> I'm looking at purchasing a dual 1.25GHz PowerMac with an 80GB or 120GB
> HDD.  I need a tape backup unit and have been quoted prices by my local
> Apple reseller for the following units.
>     1) Sony AIT1 35/90 Internal Tape Drive.
>     2) Sony AIT2 50/130 Internal Tape Drive.
>     3) Exabyte Ecrix 33/66 Internal Tape Drive.

I don't know your prices but I would buy firewire hard disks. You should
get at least 3 large hd firewire drives instead of one tape drive. And if
it isn't DDS, you get the next 2 for the cardridges.

As long it's backup and not an archiv, you should look _very_ closely to
firewire hd drives. They work with i.e. Retrospect but a lot faster
as tapes!!!

Even Tandberg states on their web side that their tape drives can't beat
firewire hard disks at soho.

Pros for firewire hd drives.
* inexpensive
* versatile