Re: New Linux Install advice?

On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 02:13:58AM -0500, Jeramy Smith wrote:

> Jacob Tennant wrote:
> >I am looking at installing Linux on my PPC 7200/90 machine with soon to
> >be 64megs of ram, 500MB HD with a cable modem connection.
> >
> >First, is there any reason I should not use this machine? Its the only
> >computer I have other than the family machine (WinXP).
>

> The 7200 had issues. Just for the heck of it once; I installed a cache
> chip, 2 256MB dimms, a voodoo3 card, a scsi card, and a 100tx network
> card in one. I think there were power issues causing instability (the
> builtin power supply is wimpy and wasn't made with all that stuff in mind).
>
> The internal scsi on this machine is 5MB/s. The onboard network chip
> should be fine for cable modem internet. The graphics will be slow as
> moses. It has no cache chip and installing one will really help the
> performance. One other thing is kernel support for the processor. I am
> not sure if the current kernel is stable on 601 or not.
>
> It should be fine if you want a machine to lynx from if you don't have a
> lot of money to try to upgrade it with.

Still, many people have installed Debian on this machine. It's no
powerhouse by today's standards.

The powermac archive kernel (2.2 series) works fine; it is a 601, but
it is a PCI mac, I think Jeramy was thinking about a NuBus kernel.

Do you have a MacOS system CD or floppies? It's somewhat desirable to
leave a minimal MacOS partition, so you can use BootX to try different
kernels and boot arguments easily. If you have a System CD, that's
easy; use Drive Setup to partition into one small partition (50-75M)
and the rest free space, install MacOS on the small one, then boot the
Debian installer either from BootX or floppy.

quik will also work as a boot loader if you want a totally-free
machine. But you don't have video access to OpenFirmware, so it's a
bit of a hassle if it doesn't work the first time, to figure out what
needs to change.

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
By the People, For the People