no sound from audio cd

I cant get sound from audio cd using XMMS. If I enable the cdaudio input plugin I can see the tracks listed in the "load file" window when I select play-file,but no sound. When
cdaudio is deselected and cdread is enabled and I select play-file, no tracks from cd
are shown in the "load file" window to play. I have configured cdread > output tab for
read digital cd audio. I seems like it should not matter if both cdaudio and cdread are
enabled if the read digital cdaudio is checked. The option tab has dev: /dev/cdrom and
dir: /cdrom which all work good for cdaudio plugin.
I can play wav file on disk. using esd or oss. I can play cd audio when I boot macos9 so
the hardware should be confirmed good.
I have powerbook g3 pismo and use deb 3.0. I have tried kernels with dmasound-pmac as
module and in kernel.
When that didnt work I installed ydl 2.3 on a separate partition incase the libcdread.so
on debian was bad with the same results. From my reading I figure that the cd drive
passes audio digitally to a pci bus which is passed to cdread (input) module which
passes audio to  selected oss or esd (output) module ..............
Maybe I cannot see the tracks in the file load window because of the pci bus.?? I don't
know how to check that.
I cant think of anything to try different. It is my impression that audio from a cd will
play. I have spent hours (actually days) working on this and dont know what next to try.
If anyone having a powerbook g3 pismo has  cd audio working, please respond.
thanks