Re: 2.4.21 on a G3

Just some more info (to add fuel to the fire ;-)

The kernel.org trees do build and run cleanly (for the most part) on the
PowerPC.  Back when the Power PC CPU was beginning to be supported, I
remember trying out "vanilla" kernel.org sources around 2.2.12 - 2.2.14.

It is true that newer major kernel releases tend to be released for x86,
and stable kernels for the PPC tend to get there 5-10 sub-releases later.
And this will probably be the case when 2.6 is released.

But for me, who has much older hardware, and doesn't need anything too
fancy in terms of features or support - the kernel.org stuff is fine.
If you are after support for newer features or newer hardware, one of
the Power PC specific kernels is the only way to go.

cheers
vinai

(change "4" to "for" to get my real e-mail address)