Re: 2.4.21 on a G3

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 01:01:20PM +0200, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
> On 18 Jun 2003 at 12:01, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > There is not yet a 2.4.21 kernel-source package, and as thus there is
> > also not yet a kernel-patch-2.4.21-powerpc package. I am taking over
> > maintainership of the unstable powerpc kernels from Dan, and i have
> > already such a package ready, but i was not yet able to test it without
> > the 2.4.21 kernel-source package.
> >
> > Just wait a few days for them.
>
> Why? How does that improve on Benjamin's kernel packages or the
> vanilla packages from kernel.org?

There are actually many kernel trees that are applicable for powerpc.
There is the official linux 2.4.21, there are the linuxppc_2_4, the
linuxppc_2_4_devel, the stable and unstable benh trees and maybe a few
other i am not aware of. I am still a bit confused by all this myself,
so if i make a mistake or let something out, please someone correct me.

The vanilla kernel.org kernel is the one which get packaged into
kernel-source-2.4.21 by Herbert Xu, and does probably not really build
on ppc, or at least doesn't contain all the latest changes. It also
contain some debian specific patches, for security and other purposes,
especially as the debian revision grows higher.

The linuxppc_2_4 kernel is the one which did get previously packaged by
Dan, and will now be packaged by me. This one contains powerpc specific
changes, which are slowly integrated into the kernel.org trees. The
linuppc_2_4_devel and the linuxppc_2_5_devel are two developpment trees
based on this one, or something such.

And then, there are the -benh trees, which are also packaged, and
contain more apple specific stuff or something such, which will also
over time go into the linuxppc kernels and then into the kernel.org
kernel.

So, if you are too impatient to wait for the kernel-patch-2.4.21-powerpc
package, or the equivalent -benh package, your best bet would be to grab
the linuxppc_2_4 or -benh1 kernel from bk.

> Also: how does this correspond with
> (let alone correspond to) my initial and further contributions to
> this thread?

No, i just grabbed this oportunity to make people know i took the
maintenance ofthe kernel-patch-2.4.21-powerpc package over from Dan,
also you were Quibling about .deb and not .deb, and so on, and it seems
to me that you were maybe misunderstanding a bit how the debian kernel
packages worked, and which one you should use.

That said, i don't believe it is too off-topic, and that, as said, if
you cant wait, you would be better of grabing either the linuxppc_2_4
or benh tree from bk and/or rsync.

Friendly,

Sven Luther