Re: ppc hardware support (was: iBook G3 14" or PowerBook G4 15"?)

> > yes... writing a mail from a G4 PB 15" ...

Great!! ;-)

> > it does no get as hot as the 12" one, i.e. the front (where the akku/hd
> > is located) stays cool all the time... however on the back it can become
> > really hot... ...
>
> I can second that. Only if I compile the kernel the back gets so hot I
> cannot leave it on my lap. Only then the ventilation kicks in.

Mmmm... ok, i think this could be harmless...

> > > - - And finally (this is less important), what about the sleep mode?.
> >
> > works more or less perfect... I have like 2 crashes when entering sleep
> > mode per month and I put it into sleep mode 3-5 times a day...
>
> I have absolutely no crashes if I always wait for the PB to finish entering
> the sleep mode or the wake-up procedure to complete successfully. I use
> Ben's "stable" kernels and pmud.

Ok, this sound well ;-)

> > I am very satisfied with that notebook... every hardware except external
> > TFT/CRT/Video output are supported ... never had that with a notebook.
>
> I am amazed how well Linux works on the ppc platform. I never liked Macs
> before I got to know Linux and since then I have had a variety of ppc
> machines. On my TiBook 400 MHz, the VGA and S-Video outputs do not work,
> however, which makes the laptop unsuitable for presentations. I can
> activate the VGA output with Ben's kernel driver (and m3mirror utility),
> but it shows just a few lines as long as in character mode and garbage as
> soon as in X. Once in X, the garbage remains, even if I switch to console
> in between. (Console blanking works, however.) I should post a separate
> message regarding this problem. The cpufreq issue is just another one I
> gotta investigate.

Video output is not a priority for me, so it is not a problem.

Conclusion: despite the hot and video output issues, PB sound like a very very
good notebook... so it is for me :-D

Thanks for your help, Soeren and Mark. When i start the installation i will be
back with some more doubts ;-)

Best regards,
Ignacio.
- --
"La capacidad de decidir por nosotros mismos es la única libertad que
realmente tenemos... Usa esa libertad."

//->Ignacio Cárdenas Díaz<-//
iakynet@eresmas.com
Linux user #286387 -- http://counter.li.org
Dpto. Lenguajes y Sistemas Informáticos, UNED.
icardenas@bec.uned.es
http://www.lsi.uned.es