Re: pbbuttonsd && APM events (/etc/apm/*.d/)

Quoting Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@bononia.it>:

> Advanced Power Management (Daemon): is a daemon able to trigger
> actions
> upon receiving power management daemon. You can use it to perform the
> actions actually done by pbbuttonsd, but even more ...
>
> For example /etc/apm/event.d/anacron is a script that start anacron
> only
> when you connect your laptop to a power supply. Apmd each time a power
> management event is received look in /etc/apm/event.d/ and invoke the
> scripts found there with arguments describing which event occured.

x86 specific nonsense. Apple laptops use (varying revisions of) a chip called
the Power Management Unit, or PMU. Hence 'pmud' for power management
functionality on Apple PPC systems. There are similar features for pmud (which
can be defined through /etc/pwrctl/pwrctl-local, iirc) to what you're talking
about for defining suspend/unsuspend actions. There is also some primitive
compatibility for certain APM-specific stuff (like XFree86's power management
awareness) that can be built into the kernel, but otherwise apmd is completely
irrelevant on any PowerPC system.

Heck, even x86 PCs are starting to abandon APM, though I'm not sure if the
transition to ACPI is for the better or not.

--
Derrik Pates
dpates@dsdk12.net