Re: MySQL Won't Bind to TCP Port 3306?

From: Guillaume Morin <gemorin@debian.org>
Subject: Re: MySQL Won't Bind to TCP Port 3306?
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 15:51:07 -0400

Taken from /usr/share/doc/mysql-server/README.Debian :

* NETWORKING:
=============
For security reasons, the Debian package has enabled the skip-networking
option in /etc/mysql/my.cnf. Comment it out and restart the server to
enable connections on tcp port 3306. Check with "netstat -tlnp" if it's
listening.

Taken from /etc/mysql/my.cnf :

# The skip-networkin option will no longer be set via debconf menu.  You
# have to manually change it if you want networking i.e. the server
# listening on port 3306. The default is "disable" - for security
# reasons.
skip-networking