Re: Kernel panic in a stable system (top error ?)

Quoting Brad Farr <linuxgeek@unsupported.org>:

> I'm running woody on a mac performa 6400/200. The system has been stable
> for months, and kept current with the stable distribution with apt-get
> upgrade.
>
> This morning, while squid was doing its daily file update, I ran top to
> monitor the system load (the squid refresh is probably the most cpu
> intensive process that is run.) While top was running, I had a kernel
> panic. The syslog messages are appended below.
>
> This is the only crash in circa six months with this configuration.
> Do I have a problem? Where else should I look? I am a relative newbie
> with linux, and admit that the syslog trace doesn't mean much to me.

You need to install the 'ksymoops' package, and run the oops text through it
(with all the crap that syslog prefixes each line with stripped - '[date]
[hostname] kernel: '). Make sure you do it with the _same exact_ kernel and
symbol table (or that you at least have them - read the ksymoops manpage for how
to point it at a symbol map for a kernel other than the running one and such).
That'll give you a symbolic trace, which will be much more helpful in terms of
debugging what went wrong.

--
Derrik Pates