Wanted: PVR Mentor

I'm looking for a mentor to help me add pvr capabilities to my Debian-PPC box. It is a Beige G3 266 to which I am emotionally attached, so I thought that adding a hardware PVR card (such as the Hauppage WinTV PVR-350) might give it a new purpose in life. Can such a card be made to work (for both hardware encoding and hardware decoding in a PPC system using Debian? Can it be used to play DVDs, since my machine is too slow to decode DVDs in software?