Re: cannot install netatalk

[ Please keep the list CC'd for the benefit of others ]

On Sun, 2003-06-01 at 20:23, Marvin Germain wrote:
> My /etc/apt/sources.list file has only one line:
>
> > deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
>
> apt-get install netatalk  results in the message:
>
> > Package netatalk has no available version, but exists in the database.
> > This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and
> > never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents
> > of sources.list
> > However the following packages replace it:
> >   timeout
> > E: Package netatalk has no installation candidate
>
> This was a bit confusing to me.  I have just installed timeout, but I am not
> yet sure what that has given me.

The name of the 'Replaces' control field is slightly misleading. It just
means that timeout contains some of the same files as netatalk. Only if
a package provides another is it an actual alternative.

> >      1.5.3.1-1 0
> >         500 http://debian.ethz.ch stable/non-US/main Packages

Apparently, netatalk was still in non-US in woody, so you need to add a
non-US line to your sources.list.