ftp/ssh services behind a router and firewall

Hi,

Can anyone point me to documentation or pass on advice for the
following:

I have just bought a speedtouch 510v4 router. I have a dynamic ip
address which pretty much stays the same.  I'd like to be able to
remotely ssh and ftp into my debian box which sits behind a local firewall.
How do I get the router's ip address x.x.x.x. to forward from these ports to
my local address which the router forces to 10.0.0.1  ?

Am I thinking about this in the right way?

I've messed around with local networks before, but never had a
router to deal with.

thanks very much

Joss