Re: SYSTEM CRASH

mushis@mail.lafayette.edu a écrit:
Hi all,

My attempts to get debian running smoothly on my Beige G3 have hit another fault. After a successful install, I was in X Windows and running KPackage to add some extra apps....then during the installing of the packages from the cd the computer hung (i guess maybe cos my cd was slightly scratched ... the installer/my drive is very sensitive to these)... So I forced a reboot and on reboot I came up with an error as fsck ran at startup. Something about the superblock and some magic number being messed up and so running e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/sda didn't help either!

To know the other superblocks (depends of the partition size), you can do (it's not dangerous) :

mke2fs -n /dev/the_bad_partition

!!! option -n of mke2fs do nothing, it's only a simulation and you only have information about the partition : man mke2fs !!!!

And in the answer, you can read the _other_ superblocks.

Then do :

e2fsck -b _other_superblock_

for example :

tomate:/home/eric# mke2fs -n /dev/hdd1
mke2fs 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=4096 (log=2)
Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
256512 inodes, 512064 blocks
25603 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=0
16 block groups
32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
16032 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
	32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912

tomate:/home/eric#

And perhaps you can find again your datas.

Hope it can help you...

Best regards,

--

eric b