Re: 2.4.18-newpmac kernel compile problems

Hi Kent,

I'm not sure about you first question, but I think (please anyone
correct me if I wrong) that at least some of the kernel headers are
generated at compile time. (In particular information regarding your
particular kernel configuration, and the like.)

For your second question: usually on Debian, kernels images are stored
in /boot (/vmlinux is just a symbolic link to the actual kernel you
boot). Under /boot, along with the vmlinux* files, you should find
config-* files (for instance config-2.2.19). Those are kernel config
files (plain text file with a series of option variables). If you want
to reuse one of them for a new compilation, copy it under the root of
your source tree with the name ".config". (Be aware that available
kernel options may and do change from version to version.) ".config" is
the file which is generated/modified by "make (x|menu)config".

To compile your kernel the debian way (i.e. with a beautiful deb package
that can be handled by dpkg -i), have a look at

http://www.cattlegrid.net/~christophe/titanium/

You can also find more info in
/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/Kernel-HOWTO.gz (in Package doc-linux-text).

Cheers

Francois